diver.net

Moby Kate Report 3.22.2008, Horseshoe kelp. Post more dive condition reports...

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy S on March 22, 2008 at 22:08:15:

In Reply to: Palos Verdes 3/22 posted by Frank O on March 22, 2008 at 21:04:59:

Moby Kate Report 3.22.2008, Horseshoe kelp.

Nice to see people actually putting up dive reports with conditions etc. So I’ll continue in this spirit and hopefully in future, others will do so also. Providing the underwater diving conditions in a timely fashion would a something that readers of this bulletin board could/should do a much better job of as this information is generally not accessible otherwise.

Surface conditions flat and sunny as we pulled out of Cabrillo. A group of large slow moving dolphins were wandering right across Angel’s Gate as wepassed so we followed them a bit and took pictures. Out at 100 feet, top 30’ had a thick yellow brown haze but under that it gradually opened up to 40’ vis at 100 feet. Dark due overlying dirty water. Temp was 50 F (one diver got a lower reading but I didn’t’ want to hear it). Definitely clear COLD water. Lots of invertebrates out and about including several assimilis abs and even one pink ab. It looked “lonely”. In closer at 75’, water just as cold but vis maybe 20’, many good size lobsters lurking under ledges with one out walking about. They definitely do know the season is over. Calico were notably absent and even the usually omnipresent sand bass were not around. Not surprising given the cold water and in place were large ling cod and cabezon lazing about. School of various types of large perch and sargo were in evidence. So we took the last dive on some close in rock piles to collect scallops for dinner (got to eat) and then headed home. Find of the day was a china cup which is heavily encrusted so I scraped the underside bottom clean and found it says “Carr China, Furnished by James Shaw Company, New York, 1933”. I can see it has a blue line around the outside of the lip but I haven’t cleaned the rest of it to see if it has any other writing or logo. I’m going to give it to Pat Smith and let he have the pleasure of sorting it out as he was absent today due to “pressure of work”. In his place, was a diving legend, the man who began the now defunct Cabrillo “Chocolate Lobster Dive”. His name is being withheld as it is a good diving trivia question (Elaine J knows…).

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to