diver.net

Fog Wreck and Ross-O Reef dive report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on April 27, 2008 at 15:24:14:

What a great day. The ocean was flat, the Sun was shining and we were diving before it got hot. We were already under water by 7:45. The water at the Fog Wreck was green and dark, and the current was ripping. I turned on my light halfway down, expecting night dive conditions on the wreck. As we approached the bottom the vis opened up to a little better than fifteen feet. We spotted two Wolfeels right away. Merry freed a brown rockfish caught in the net. The net itself may be removed next weekend. It is off the wreck for the most part, but the lines attached to lift it are tangled all around the net. I moved one, and we ascended into the current again.
One of the two Wolfeels
Photobucket

Fuse panel
Photobucket

Metridiums
Photobucket

Lift line caught on a valve
Photobucket

Flabellina trilineata
Photobucket

Anemones
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some time after the first dive I lost the deflector to my housing, so all wide angle shots on the second dive were dark and had plenty of backscatter.
Our next dive was at a target Ross-O wanted to check out. He has a cold and had to remain topside. Merry and I felt bad for him, but that didn't stop us from diving. :)
Ross said it was probably a rockpile that nobody had ever seen, but we might like to explore. We saw the bottom from about fifty feet and the reef was incredible. It was a 20-25' tall structure covered in every color imaginable. Clouds of Blacksmith moved through the water column, chased occasionally by large cabezons. Sponges, sandbass, red gorgonian, lingcod, rainbow seaperch, black perch, rubberlips and anemones were everywhere. We only spent about twenty minutes on the bottom, but will definately go back. The reef was a small version of Hawthorne Reef, but the marine life was more concentrated. Merry and I named it Ross-O Reef.
The water column was filled with jellies large and small.
Water temp on the first dive was 52F with 48.6F on the second. I didn't even notice the cold water due to the beauty of the reef and the ripping current.
Lingcod near the anchor
Photobucket

Photobucket

Sponges, anemones and tunicates, oh my!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Merry goes exploring
Photobucket

The reef and fish
Photobucket

Photobucket