diver.net

Re: Re: Re: dive class recommendations

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BugDiver on May 31, 2008 at 10:18:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: dive class recommendations posted by goldenbear01 on May 30, 2008 at 00:25:36:

As a SCUBA Instructor I can tell you that the certifying agencies like PADI and NAUI have standards (skills learned and competenly demonstrated) that have to be met by the student diver before certification. This applies equally to all instructors at ALL shops. If you experience any problems with any instructor, it is the Instructor's fault. The dive shop is responsible to the extent that perhaps they are not paying attention to their instructional staff, are not surveying their students for quality of instruction, etc.

I am sure there are great instructors and less than great instructors at all dive shops. Sport Chalet is a large organization with about 50 stores across 4 states, so it is likely more people have experience taking classes with them or interacting with their dive shop employees than those who have interacted with a single dive shop in any given community.

If someone has a complaint about a dive instructor's competence, they should file a complaint with the certifying agency, and the dive shop they work out of. If they have a complaint about their "customer service" they should complain to the dive shop manager, and/or the "corporate office" so appropriate corrective action can be taken.

My experience with Sport Chalet has always been positive, with professional instructional staff and knowledgable employees. They also typically have good prices on dive equipment due to their buying power.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to