diver.net

Re: Re: How many ship sinkings would this $40 Million project support?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick on June 26, 2008 at 08:59:14:

In Reply to: Re: How many ship sinkings would this $40 Million project support? posted by Chris Knight on June 24, 2008 at 23:21:02:

Actually, Chris, that is a bit specious. There are numerous wrecks that support kelp beds. Chief among these would be GOSFORD at Government Point that supports a dense, large kelp bed. S.S. CUBA at San Miguel Island, AGGI, GOLDENHORN and CHICKASAW, all at Santa Rosa Island, the Grumman Guardian aircraft off Santa Cruz Island, The F/V Equator (what’s left of her…) and WINFIELD SCOTT at Anacapa, The SUEJAQ and VALIANT at Catalina. The VALIANT being densely covered even though she lays in approx. 100 FSW, the USS KOKA , USS GREGORY and S.S. WHITE EAGLE at San Clemente Island.

That said, I would grant that you could expect a rock strate will be longer lived than a wreck as a reef base, but in the same regard, I’ve observed several natural rock reefs that “disappeared” when an influx of sand blanketed the area killing the kelp, and turning a kelp bed into a sand bottom. None of the coastal systems are fixed. The dynamics of the coastal environment preclude any “permanent” fix.
Rocks are fine.
I like wrecks.

8-)

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the