diver.net

Dive Gear quarantined by DFG

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on August 25, 2008 at 06:33:23:

I went diving in Laughlin at the Colorado River. A boring dive, but my friend loves to dive it because he finds neat stuff like glasses, hats, keys, watches, wallets, etc… (note, when he does find something which can ID the owner, he does try to return it). It was the first time I went with him… and the last time!

Coming home yesterday, we went through the agriculture check point which was actually open. It is usually close on the weekends. They stopped every boat for some reason. So we came up to the DFG person and he saw our dive gear in the back of the pickup truck. He asked where we went diving and we said Laughlin. Not a big deal since my friend has been diving there for years and there are no lobsters…

They had to check our diving gear for some type of mussel. I looked at him like he had a hole in his head. Turns out, that is what they were looking for with the boats. So they checked our gear and I guess found he found a mussel. He showed it to me and it looked like a very small brown seashell.

Well… our dive gear was confiscated and will have to be quarantined for 10 days. I protested, since the value of my dive gear was around $2500 and my friend’s gear is around $2000. After being threatened with arrest, I had to give up my dive gear. I was forced to sign a paper stating they DFG, the State of California or its representatives are not responsible for damage, lost or stolen equipment.

Plus, I have to drive back to the check point on I40 to pickup my gear. Asked what they are going to do with my gear, they said they are going to clean it with hot water and chlorine. Well… when I protested about the chlorine, I was handed a ticket for interfering… which is a $1000 fine.

As soon as I get to work, I can scan the paper work and ticket I got.

Sucks…

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.