diver.net

Re: "Great Escape" Diveboat

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pasley on October 05, 2008 at 07:43:56:

In Reply to: "Great Escape" Diveboat posted by Arthur Hacker on October 01, 2008 at 13:28:34:

What is your problem with the mentally disabled? Do they not also deserve to work and to live?

Exactly what safety equipment was missing? Specifics please.

I have enjoyed diving on the Great Escape several times and always found Captain Tim and crew to be great. I believe the real test is the Chamber Day charter when the local dive boats all donate their boats and time and charge exactly the same price. What boat is the first to sell out? That is right the Great Escape. Why is that? Only one reason on that day as price is not a factor- customer satisfaction.

So if I read your post correctly actual complaints are:
1. Unspecified safety equipment that you believe is not present (did you ask about it?). The Coast Guard regularly inspects for required safety equipment and I am pretty sure that green bottle is O2.
2. A jovial DM who laughs at jokes including his own.
3. A deck hand who may or may not have a mild learning disability.
4. A cook who you believe may prone to violence but was not actually violent. Personally I have never had a problem with the cook. But then I am smart enough to never piss off a cook.
5. Smoking engines (never seen that on the boat beyond what all engines do, it is called exhaust).
6. Several boat captain qualified individuals on board.

I note that your list of complaints are mainly personality (mentally disabled, jovial, violent tendencies) and that there were no complaints of:
1. Crowded boat
2. Cramped or uncomfortable bunks
3. Bad Food
4. Bad Air
5. Incompetent Crew
6. Poor Maintenance of the boat
7. Incompetent Captain
8. Verified missing safety equipment (ie CG inspection, or you asked and they said they did not have it).

Sorry you had a bad day on one of the best boats in the SoCal fleet. My advice, if you were not happy on this boat, you will not be happy on any of the boats.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to