diver.net

Re: Equipment Insights

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Firewalker on November 12, 2008 at 11:25:19:

In Reply to: Equipment Insights posted by Elaine on November 08, 2008 at 10:18:39:

. From the Split-Fin Web Site: Split-Fins differ from traditional paddle blades in that they have a split blade. The split blades, which act like propellers, twist independently during each stroke to a precise angle of attack that creates lift and thrust. Split-Fins operate more efficiently than 'paddle'-bladed fins by mimicking a diver's natural kicking cadence. This ensures a more even distribution of resistance during the upswing and down thrust motions of the kicking cycle, working both muscle groups equally to help build leg strength and power output.
The SplitFin functions optimally with a tighter, higher frequency kick for maximum performance and power benefit. The unique flexible split blade allows sustained intense training over the course of your workout and helps reduce ankle strain, fatigue and cramping often associated with the use of conventional 'paddle' fins.

I sold mostly Jet Fins to my students in my entry level programs for 27 years. I did it because I felt that the Jet was the best fin on the market (and I still feel that way). The jet is an easy kicking power fin. It is an ideal fin for So. Cal. Diving (cold water, current, kelp). It has a good foot pocket sizing and has a metal buckle. The tech, commercial, and military communities all use Jets.

I did sell Split fins to students with knee and leg problems, also to students who could not learn how to kick ( the split fin will paddle you along with almost any type of kick, bicycling, marching, walking etc.).
The problems I saw with the splits was that they were very slow starting and had almost no dead stop thrust. They did not do will in current. They have plastic buckles ( that got caught in kelp and broke). And they cost more.

Most stores sell Split because the profit margin is better then the Jet fin. The foot pocket is bigger so it will accommodate the bigger higher end boots (the tennis shoe boot). It takes less training to use a Split fin so the instructor can shorten the coarse even more.
The Split fin is very much like the dry snorkel. The stores love it because it cost more and shortens training.

If the split fins work for you then keep them and have fun (that's what it's all about). Why bring it up?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to