diver.net

Two Harbors

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank O on May 27, 2009 at 10:05:15:

In Reply to: Re: Private Boat to Catalina posted by Divebum Don on May 27, 2009 at 05:44:24:

A year or two ago, Two Harbors (a.k.a. Isthmus Cove) started accepting advance reservations for moorings. I just called and confirmed this is still the case. It's only available for boats 25' and less in length (no problem for Chuck's Montauk), and only from Memorial Day to "Buccaneer Days," which is Oct. 3. To reserve, call (310) 510-4253 with a credit card.

Although my family made a lot of visits to Avalon early on (and I did my cert dives there 10 years ago), later we came to prefer the quieter atmosphere of the isthmus. We've stayed at the Banning House, which is fine, but expensive; it also has very few rooms, so getting one in the summer is likely like hen's teeth. The alternative (besides sleeping bags on the Whaler deck) would be camping at Little Fisherman's Cove, adjacent to the isthmus. I think the options there vary from bare sites to tent cabins. Avalon by contrast has a lot of shops and is more crowded.

I'm also partial to the dive sites up in the isthmus area, such as Ship Rock, Isthmus Reef, Blue Caverns, etc -- and, if conditions are calm enough, the far west end.

You could also check out options for boat-in camping at other spots on the island:

http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/twoHarbors/camp_boatIn.php

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.