diver.net

Flooded housing is for the birds

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on June 07, 2009 at 14:14:31:

I had big plans of a video shoot at Marineland this morning. I had a long list of underwater and topside shots needed. I planned to start the shoot with Our Lady of the Garden and the sheephead who seems to be there all the time. I entered at the cove and made the surface swim to the point while the other divers entered at the point. I somehow managed to beat them out there. We agreed that I would drop down first to get my statue shots before the vis was stirred up. It took a couple minutes but I found the statue. Visibility was only six to eight feet, so my wide angle plans were ruined. That wasn't the only thing nearly ruined.
I looked in the viewfinder to frame my first shot ans saw two inches of water inside the housing. I made a four minute ascent that seemed like an hour. I managed to open the housing, dump the water and close it without getting more water in or losing the housing plate. I made a beeline back to the cove, washed the camera and housing with fresh water and dried everything. The camera still worked!
I grabbed the tripod and set out for my topside shots. As I finished I met two divers who told me about Matt the Birdman. Terranea hired him to use his hawk and owl to scare away seagulls. They were friendly looking predators. I'll save the rest of the shots for next week, when I'll try again to shoot things outside the housing.

Click on HD

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.