diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Chamber Day obmination

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Meagher on June 13, 2009 at 17:46:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Chamber Day obmination posted by Mike on June 12, 2009 at 10:18:31:

First, I am not sure, but I suspect that that obmination word was a "typo"? Come on.... someone types an typoo here.. does that invalidate the thoughs? Give it a break....

Second, my recollection from a conversation from a captain of one of the dive boats is that he told me that all the monies paid by the divers do not go to the boat, all the funds go to Mr. Kurtis or the chamber event.

The boat does not see the money. So.. the boat then runs the trip.. the boat pays for the fuel, the costs, crew costs, food, fees to pay the landing, insurance, etc. So.. yes.. the divers are donating. But yes, but its also the dive boats that are donating too. If a boat is not full, then the boats costs are approx. the same.. same cost to run to catalina with a half full boat as a full one. A slightly lesserr food cost is a minimal portion of the total.

Perhaps you are right.. that the boats do not make the majority donation. Yes, the divers do put up a bunch of cash too.

It is a invalid point that the boats are benefiting by being able to run a boat mid week they would not be othewise. Given that that boat trip is a financial loss for them, they are not making any money on that trip anyways!

One capain told me that after his weather cancellation, (which he swears he made in good faith).that some divers wanted their money back. What sort of "donation" is that? Donate to a cause.. then want a refund when the trip was canncelled? ie. I donated but I didnt get my freebies.. so I want my money back.. my donation was contngent. Now... that shows NO CLASS. That I suspect was the reason Denny Crane made such harsh comments about some divers being cheap.

Your claim that the boat is reaping a benefit because without a chamber, divers would not dive at in So. Cal. is vague and what some would call "a stretch". Come on now. There are many many places around the world that divers continue to dive at, where there is not chamber of the same capabilities as at Catalina.Those spots still draw divers.

The claim that a boat that does not particiate in chamber day is that the chamber will go under, the chamber will not be there for the divers in the future.. is again another misconception. The chamber was there long ago, long before there was any dive boat industry participated chamber day fundraising event. I dont recall hering anything about chamberr day on dive boats back in the 70s. I suspect that with the backing of LA County, USC, etc, the chamber would continue.. even if many dive boats opted out of this event, in its present form.They'd find a way to fund this chamber.

Sure.. some of Dennys comments about Ken were personal, and seemed to exhibit some personality conflicts... but some of the other comments were accurate.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to