diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Re: Chamber Day obmination

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on June 14, 2009 at 14:22:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Chamber Day obmination posted by Mike Meagher on June 13, 2009 at 17:46:47:

Mike, I never said that if the boats don't participate the chamber will not be there, but not participating does not help it stay open either. If costs and funding were the same as they were in the 70's, I wouldn't worry. But that is not the case. Without additional funding the chamber WILL close. So unless someone comes up with another way to help fund them, why not support it through Chamber Day? If a boat doesn't want to participate due to the costs, then so be it, and don't be one of the participants. It's that easy. I don't remember seeing any threads on any boards discussing or slamming any of the boats that did not participate this year. Any of the boats that participated did so of their own free will, and knew the costs going in, and theoretically did so for the benefit of the cause.

I do agree that anyone who makes a "donation" then wants their money back is indeed not making a donation, but is paying for a service. But this would not be an issue if there hadn't been boat cancellations. The fact is that virtually all the boats sell out for chamber day. I am sure that at the last minute you might have a cancellation or two, but usually they are full. But if a boat signs up for the day, then complains that they are losing money, wouldn't that put them in the same "cheap" class as the diver wanting a refund?

Also, I never said the boats were not contributing! Of course they are. But "Denny's" post made it sound like all the money was out of their pocket, which just isn't true.

And here is where I see the boats benefit by running on Chamber Day. They get "good will" exposure. Personally I'd rather dive a boat that supports the chamber than one that doesn't. They will also get divers on board who maybe have not dove with them before, since there is a limited amount of space. I was willing to dive on any boat listed to support the day. If I get on a boat I've never been on before and enjoy myself, I will come back! I may even post a glowing recommendation for the boat on a board like this, to encourage others to do the same. It's a great marketing opportunity for them. I just don't see the downside for the boats.

Perhaps if the OP was from an actual boat owner, and was factual about issues with the funds and event, this would be a very different discussion. But just throwing out accusations and doing nothing more than mud slinging is counter-productive, and helps no one. So far the only accuracy in his post is about some divers being cheap. That isn't exactly news.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to