diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From Their Trees

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Knight on June 22, 2009 at 16:05:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From Their Trees posted by Walt on June 22, 2009 at 15:44:21:

Susan Golding was interesting to say the least but still pretty qualified for something like this. The Charger ticket fiasco still makes me wonder...

As for the Western Petroleum rep, I think that it would be fair to ask the same question of any fisherman, enviro, or anyone involved in the process. They all bring bias to the process and they might have alterior motives as well. Doesn't make it a conspiracy? It also doesn't mean they shouldn't have a seat at the table. Differing points of view are how you develop a representative consensus.

As for why other people in California should have a say, it's simple. No one person owns the ocean. We all do. It's a public good that we all have a stake in. The ocean isn't just for people that fish. Just because some dude in Bakersfield doesn't troll for albacore doesn't mean that we don't owe him the duty to make responsible decisions that will protect his rights as well. In fact, I think an economic argument could be made that fisherman are actually free riders benefiting at the people expense. That's why we all hope they are responsible. History hasn't demonstrated that to be the case however.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to