diver.net

Thanks

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Knight on August 06, 2009 at 13:47:16:

In Reply to: Oh the morality of all... posted by seldom seen slim on August 06, 2009 at 13:08:06:

I appreciate your effort to provide a sustainable example. You didn't do it however because as I've said several times before you apply the term without the information that really says it is sustainable. DFG management of most species is at best a calculated guess because it is all based on after-catch reports. You have no idea if it is sustainable based on this until the population crashes and you get no more catch.

And as I've said before, you can't compare different species. Comparing Alaska's red cucumbers to our wartys or Californias is like comparing our spiny lobnster with the Maine lobster. It doesn't tell us anything about population or management efforts here. It may be the same pond but were talking 2000 miles of separation. It's misleading at best.

And finally, the reason why the abalone model is applicable is because the same management of the fishery is used in both cases. Don't dismiss the example because of what it says about how we've managed our fisheries here in California.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to