diver.net

Just a thought

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on November 13, 2009 at 04:54:50:

In Reply to: Issues to resolve along with the moorings themsevles posted by Ken Kurtis on November 12, 2009 at 22:34:09:

If you can't tie the boat to the reef, and, divers often need an anchor line, why not give the divers an up line?

Live drop off and pick up. Several up lines installed so divers have central places to meet, ascend and descend. Something to hold on to in a current. A handrail for new divers who just want to go down, see what is there and come back up.

It could be a generally submerged line that the dive boat approaches and ties a surface marker onto.

Just offering a reverse way to think about things. I don't think there is anything more difficult in dive logistics of this than many of the dives I've been on.

Sure, the mooring could break, divers could "miss" the mooring line, etc. but how is that any more risky than an anchor that blows or a boat that rotates in the wind and current? I have used kelp to hold my bearing. Newer divers who face the "fear factor" at Farnsworth may even get a sense of security knowing that there is something out there to hold on to. One of the larger issues of diving Farnsworth is there is not much to keep you where you need to be if you must make a blind, open water assent. This won't prevent diver error, not much does, but it might be a feasible eco friendly option.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to