diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow! (-)

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on January 24, 2010 at 04:57:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Wow! (-) posted by Dr Samuel Miller,111 on January 22, 2010 at 17:38:51:

I think the title I would like most would be waterman.
Really, I am very interested in the lore of diving. Some of it is so contradictory. Do you know if it is true that Jack O'neil
was using neoprene as padding under carpet in airplanes when he descided to make a wetsuit with it? He does not get credit for
making the first wetsuit these days, but I hear it was him.
I look at diving and think of how it must have been. I suspect that at one time Palos Verdes may have been among the best
diving on the coast. Laguna would have been amazing.
My knowledge of biology suggests that way back when, most reefs you would have seen would have had a "reef master". A huge
alpha bull lobster that would likely have challenged even divers.
I suspect that today's divers would not recognise diving in the earliest days. Most divers these days don't spend time in the
warm shallows that I must guess were the rich hunting grounds of the first divers. For that matter, few divers are now
hunters. I think you will agree that that is quite a change. Hunting releases ancient instincts and makes one so much more
perceptive of the waters around them.
Ah... I would have loved to see it then, though I started diving in 1970, so I saw some of it. I do try to preserve the
diving lore as I can.
Why were they called "Underwater Instructors"?
By the way, board statistics are that there are about 200 reads for every reply. Do not doubt that what you wrote was read and
Considered.
... Enjoy the diving, seahunt
Beginning NAUI Scuba Diver
PADI NITROX Certified

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full