diver.net

Re: Re: USS Squalus/Sailfish BELL !

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by baja ha ha on February 09, 2010 at 07:38:27:

In Reply to: Re: USS Squalus/Sailfish BELL ! posted by Ray on February 04, 2010 at 19:37:53:

BTW, Edward Ellsberg wrote 15 books. I have every one of them. They make up one of the finest collections of Naval fiction and non-fiction I have seen.

Ray
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI:

Commander -- later Admiral - Edward Ellsberg authored seventeen (17) books; two over the fifteen you indicated.

Since you response I have had numerous E mail exchanges with international diving bibliophiles regarding your statement (s.) It was universally concurred that only 8 of his books were factual and of the eight only three were related to diving operations.

Therefore:

Eight (8) are factual
* Three (3) maybe considered diving related
** On the bottom
** Men under the sea
** Under the Red Sea sun
* One is marginal
**No Banners; No bugles
*The four remaining book are related to military activity and NOT diving

*Six (6) are fictional books and may or may not be a reliable representation of the facts

*Three (3) are juvenile books, and traditionally not a reliable source of facts.

Please bear in mind that it very important that the short history of diving be preserved and one of the most reliable is via the written word in factual books; not non fiction or juvenile books. Therefore, only three of Commander Ellsbergs books may be considered applicable to the underwater world; On the bottom, Men under the sea & Under the Red Sea sun. The remaining books certainly have value to a collector but not as a document of diving history.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to