diver.net

Re: USS Squalus/Sailfish BELL !

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ray on February 04, 2010 at 19:37:53:

In Reply to: USS Squalus/Sailfish BELL ! posted by baja haha on February 04, 2010 at 16:47:40:

It is interesting to note that the Squalus/Sailfish seemed to have more than the usual amount of drama following it.

During the initial rescue, a sister ship (Sculpin, SS-191) helped locate and salvage the Squalus. Later, during WWII, about Nov 18, 1943 the Sculpin was sunk by a Japanese Destroyer (presumably the Yamagumo). The Yamagumo picked up 42 survivors. One badly injured sailor was thrown over. The remaining 41 were transferred to two Japanese aircraft carriers for transport to Japan.

On Dec 2, 1943 the carrier Chuyo, carrying 21 US sailors from Sculpin was sunk by the Sailfish (SS-192). One was rescued by a Japanese Destroyer, the other 20 perished. A rather ironic outcome.

In addition to the references Sam gave, further information on the Squalus/Sailfish, the Sculpin and other US subs can be obtained from a number of reference volumes. Some of the better that are readily available are.

“United States Submarine Operations in World War II”, by Theodore Roscoe

“Dive into History, Volume 2 U.S. Submarines”, by Henry Keatts and George Farr

“Blow all Ballast” The story of the Squalus, by Nat A Barrows

I’m pretty sure all can be found on the net.

BTW, Edward Ellsberg wrote 15 books. I have every one of them. They make up one of the finest collections of Naval fiction and non-fiction I have seen.

Ray

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.