diver.net

Re: Re: USS Squalus/Sailfish BELL !

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Baja haha on February 05, 2010 at 12:29:12:

In Reply to: Re: USS Squalus/Sailfish BELL ! posted by Ray on February 04, 2010 at 19:37:53:

I made identical posting to another board and have received absolutely no comments. I seriously question if any of the modern expert late model tube sucking bubble blowers that apparently populate that board comprehended the post

I should have realized that I was posting to SoCal divers and I would be posting to a very astute knowledgeable audience and would receive very astute knowledgeable responses. I commend you and thank you for your post.

There are a number of books on the Squalus and/or references the event. Two others are;

"Man explores the sea" by James Dugan,1960, Pelican books, #A-463 -soft cover

"They dared the deep" Robert F Marx 1967, The world publishing co, Ohio

I have a number of books by Commander Edward Ellsberg, but am many short of a complete set. I certainly admire your perseverance in amassing your collection.

About 10 years ago I organized the first United States Diving Bibliophile Meeting in my home. We had over 20 participants for the 2 day event from North, South & East, a number of telephone conferences and letters from international bibliophiles. Several brought signed copies of Ellsberg's books...we had a running joke that "A rare Ellsberg was a book that he didn't sign." As you and I and others realize any Ellsberg is a rare book, as are the Beebes Eadies, Williamson and the .Du Pont photo book.

It has been several years since a Diving Bibliophile meet was presented. Perhaps 2010 is the year for SoCal to host one???

I have the books listed except the Henry Keats book... They are not main stream of my diving interest; spearfishing, photographing and California diving so they are shelved on the very top shelf and difficult to remove.

Thanks again for the very informative and interesting post
sdm

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to