diver.net

Re: Split-Fins in Strong Currents?

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on June 11, 2010 at 07:07:21:

In Reply to: Split-Fins in Strong Currents? posted by Colter on June 11, 2010 at 06:07:59:

I've tried two different brands of split fins on two different occasions and they worked but not very well. I did actually get caught up in a current or an outflow from the beach I needed to get back to and it was scary. I seems that there is a definite power bracket within the range of motion with splits. In other words there is a certain technique that works best ( a short fast flutter kick) which will deliver only so much top end power. If the current is stronger than the top speed of that power curve you're screwed. If you attempt to kick the fin harder then you over bend the fin and you actually lose power because you go out of the other side of the power bracket. That's what got me in trouble. It's nutural human instinct to put more into it when you think you need it.

Jet's offer more power but at a cost in air and leg fatigue. The nice thing about jets is that they lend themselves well to sculling, frog kicking, turning, backing up, etc. They are faily stiff with a large wide flat surface area so with regular flutter kicking they give you a lot of power.
I also have turtles, quattro's, and Picasso freediving fins. The absolute most power is with long fins but in most cases they're not really practical unless you need to go really fast to chase stuff like bugs, and at a huge cost with air.

I did a poll over on scubaboard a while back and original Jet's seemed to win hands down.
However, I know a guy who still swears that old Voit Duck Feet are still the best overall fin ever invented.

I just got my quattro's operating again with some new thick rubber bungee straps I adapted on with DIY stainless clips. I'm going to see how those work again. It's been years since I've used them but I remember really liking them. The foot pocket fits a single bootie really well and was the most comfortable I can remember.
Since I no longer subscribe to the whole DIR mentality I am free to use whatever the hell I want.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to