diver.net

Re: Re: Where Dan surfaced

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Thalassamania on October 25, 2010 at 13:02:20:

In Reply to: Re: Where Dan surfaced posted by ChrisM on October 25, 2010 at 12:10:28:

As we both know well, the job of an expert is, in large part, to make damaging testimony seem less creditable and the easiest testimony to do that with is that of a witness that was under stress. So it is unlikely that we will ever be able to analyze what happen in any detail. So I think it prudent to accept Occum's Razor.

1) All but the most experienced divers wind up swimming either into the current or with the current, it takes real concentration to hold any other course. So he would have been swimming either east or west.

2) He surfaced at 9:09. When did he submerge? My first guess would be that the distance he submerged would be something less than 110 feet times the number of minutes he was submerged.

3) When I have been running diving ops under similar circumstances (with much more experienced divers) I would always have a lookout, with binoculars, posted and actively scanning the area down current, whether or not anyone had surfaced there before. I would be sure that the lookout was carefully briefed to scan further and further away from the boat as time passed.

4) If, in fact, he had surfaced with a safety sausage, 1,100 feet away (as you calculate) that would have meant that he submerged at about 9:00. At that range, about goalpost to goalpost on a football field, I would expect a competent lookout with binoculars to have identified a distressed diver waving a safety sausage.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to