diver.net

A bad day of fishing is not necessarily better than a good day at work

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on August 20, 2011 at 18:40:07:

We heard a report of a fishing boat taking on water off Marineland this morning as we were a couple miles away. By the time we got there a Sheriff helicopter, two Baywatch boats and the Coast Guard were already on scene. They pumped water from the small boat and towed it back to Los Angeles Harbor. We were hoping for a new wreck dive site.
The swells were large and the intervals were short along the west side of Palos Verdes this morning. We were looking for better conditions on the south side, but it was choppy and green all the way to San Pedro. We felt that there would be no diving this weekend, and we hadn't seen any whales either, so it was a wasted gas day. After nearly three hours on the water we headed back around Rocky Point to find flatter seas than when we left. Merry suggested diving the landing craft off Malaga Cove.
We dropped into limited vis, but it improved to about fifteen feet as we approached the wreck. I was set up for wide angle, so it was going to be a challenge getting anything with the sand stirred up in the water. As I was taking shots of blacksmith on the wreck, two Giant Sea Bass cruised past me. I only had time to fire off a couple of quick shots before they faded into the gloom.
I showed my pictures to Merry, then went around to the other end of the wreck, where I found a large torpedo ray resting in the sand. After taking a few pictures I took Merry over for a turn. When I tried for a close up, he decided he'd had enough and got out of Dodge.
I later found some fish eggs with no one guarding them. Merry got some nice shots of them, as well as a large coffee bean snail.
It turned into a nice dive day after all. I would prefer flatter seas and clearer water, but it was better than being at work.

Looking the wheelhouse with the starboard engine in the center

Blacksmith at the wheelhouse

Camera-shy Ocean Whitefish

How do you like your eggs?

Cleat

Sheep crab

Two GSBs

Garibaldi guarding his nest

Cabezon, garibaldi, blacksmith and rock wrasse living together. It's crazy!

Merry sneaks up on a Pacific Electric Ray

I'm outta here

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to