diver.net

Youngest giant sea bass.

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Merry on August 21, 2011 at 20:48:05:

In Reply to: Double Down on the Landing Craft. Four GSBs! posted by Max Bottomtime on August 21, 2011 at 18:11:07:

Fortunately, the landing craft's modest relief attracts many different species of fish. None are abundant, however, except for blacksmiths and jack mackerel.

The discovery of a small group of giant sea bass was a wonderful surprise! While I was busy photographing light bulb tunicates, I didn't realize that two of the three larger GSBs were parked behind me within arm's length. When I turned slightly to reposition the camera, I came face-to-face with one, at eye level! Foiled by a macro lens.

Here's the young one that Phil found. I took this photo as unobtrusively as possible, and didn't hang around to bug him.

Photobucket

Same image cropped:

Photobucket

After that encounter, several minutes passed before I could gather my wits. But there were more surprises in store.

Perhaps Paul Kanner (Sheller) could help us identify this limpet, which was under a rusty plate.

Photobucket

Got one shot of this lovely worm before it disappeared. Will ask Leslie Harris for the ID.

Photobucket

Another worm, a serpulid:

Photobucket

There are a few nudis on the wreck, but you have to search them out. Flabellina iodinea:

Photobucket

A few images from Hawthorne Reef:

Ida's Mitre all decked out, Mitra idae

Photobucket

The flatworm, Pseudoceros montereyensis

Photobucket

A tiny Lamacia cockerelli

Photobucket

The cheery Triopha catalinae

Photobucket

Follow Ups:

Name: