diver.net

Re: Re: hallibug--You have got to be kidding!

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on September 27, 2011 at 21:53:24:

In Reply to: Re: hallibug--You have got to be kidding! posted by seahunt on September 27, 2011 at 21:12:30:

I agree with Brad on the impact of the so-called recreational fisherman... it has become a proficient killing machine with little regard for the environment.

As a personal observation... I dove Deer Creek one morning a several years ago and saw a few sheephead and smaller calicos in the kelp. As we neared the end of our dive we heard the drone of a large boat approach as we headed back to shore. Surfacing we saw a full party boat drop its mass of lines into the water. On our return dive there that day we saw no fish left on that small reef system. Just some soda cans and a few lost lures.

These folks feel that since they paid to fish they want to bring home a limit of any kind. I quit fishing from these boats back in the early 1980's because I saw the catch dwindle - something was wrong and I didn't want to be a part of it.

Same goes for scallops - walls covered with them have disappeared and now you're lucky to see one. I'm sickened by divers who will pry the last one off a denuded reef or those who spear sheephead that moments before docilely swam by and could be stroked. That's not sport, its puppy killing.

Take only what you will eat fresh and take only if there is plenty. Else leave it alone or all you'll see are urchin fields on barren reefs.... not a pretty sight.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to