diver.net

Recreational Fisherman Using Lobster Traps

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Coleman on May 22, 2013 at 06:39:39:

In Reply to: Hoop nets are really traps posted by Rick_Coleman on May 20, 2013 at 14:57:01:

Why are recreational fisherman permitted to use nets that entrap lobster? As Brad mentions things usually come down to money. I haven’t spent much time on this, but with a quick Google search you can find hoop net definitions. Part of the definition for a traditional type “A” net states: All parts of the hoop net shall collapse and lie flat when resting on the ocean floor in such a manner that the gear does not entrap or restrict the free movement of crustaceans until lifted. But then there is a type “B” net defined which specifically allows the conical nets with the raised ridged ring. The type “B” net contains no wording about not entrapping the lobster. Does this make any sense?

Assuming that these new hoop net “traps” are hear to stay, I believe the number of nets permitted per fisherman needs to be evaluated. Five per person seems very excessive to me, especially for a device that is so effective in entrapping the lobster.

As a side note, the proliferation of hoop netting has led to a proliferation of abandoned nets. I’ve seen as many as 5-7 abandoned/stuck nets on a single dive littering the ocean floor.

The hoop netting craze is getting out of hand and needs to be looked at more closely.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to