The Sportsman's Opinion

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by grousseau on April 27, 2005 at 10:14:23:

In Reply to: Re: Spear Fishing.....Short sighted and greedy posted by Jim Hoffmann on April 26, 2005 at 16:43:12:

I am an avid diver, fisherman, and hunter. I often hear the same arguments from others who do not truly understand the conservation perspective and activities of law obeying outdoor enthusiasts. Here are some things I would like to point out:

1. What organization since it's beginining has created over 10 million acres of waterfowl and marsh habitat in North America?? Ducks Unlimited ( a hunting based organization)

2. What is the major source of funding for the CA DFG and their field bioligists? My License fees.

3. Who has been responsible for the success of the white seabass recovery projects? Who has been instrumental in fighting bottom trawl fishing? United Anglers (a group of fisherman)

4. Who works nationwide to restore and maintain habitat as well as biological studies for the following species:

Quail Quail Unlimited (hunting based org)
Turkey Wild Turkey Federation (hunting based)
Rocky Mountain Elk The Rocky Mountain Elk Found
Trout in CA CAL Trout(mainly fly fisherman)

Additionally there are numerous other Sportman based groups that help to restore habitat for the following species:

Desert Bighorn Sheep
Mule Deer
Pheasants Forever
Whitetail Deer Unlimited

My point is that those of us in the fishing/hunting community are just as outraged at poachers because of the the typical knee jerk reactions that they create. When I get in arguments with PETA people and other so calle "environmentalist" I often point out that hunters and fisherman have made a far greater contribution to habitat restoration than your average member of an anti-fishing or anti-hunting organization.

Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]