Dive Location: Marineland
Time: 9:26
Bottom Time: 48 minutes
Max Depth: 49'
Vis: 10-15 at depth
Wave height: 1-2
Temp at depth: 49F
Comments:
Claudette, Carlos and Jeff joined me for yet another attempt at getting photographic evidence that the Marineland Platform exists. I think we may have succeded. I'll download my shots later. Carlos and Claudette made two dives this morning. The first at Pt. Vicente Fishing Access (Cardiac Hill) and then joined us at Marineland. Both dives were in 49F water. We followed the cave line I layed yesterday. It's so nice not having to kick on the surface. On the way back in I took a picture of Claudette swimming along side me when all of a sudden I was being shaken violently by what I thought was Jeff playing "shark" I turned to the left to see and was immediately bitten hard on my left elbow by a bull sea lion. I had to punch his face to get him to release me. I grabbed my elbow and gave Claudette the thumbs up. She thought I was holding my elbow to keep water from entering my drysuit, but I was trying to keep all my blood in. It really hurt! In all the commotion my camera floated to the surface, so it was a good thing I was headed that way.
I always wondered if I would panic if I was ever attacked by a shark. I don't think I would now. I handled this attack calmly, even with a little humor once I realized there was no blood. It did leave a small puncture in my suit and my elbow is red and a little scratched. I was just glad Claudette was there to witness it so it wouldn't become another fish story.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]