Re: I'm back....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on March 31, 2000 at 12:23:15:

In Reply to: I'm back.... posted by seahunt on March 31, 2000 at 11:51:49:

Jusfer was right in his analysis. Hunting, just like driving a car, is a privledge granted by the state or federal government. While you may object to the term *privledge* that is how it is referred to under judical doctrine.

You are gauranteed certain * rights * under the Constitution but beyond those * rights * all else is a privledged granted by the Govt. We may not like the way it sounds but those are the facts..

Legal jargon aside, you would agree that you need to buy a license to hunt, would you not???

That license, when purchased, is the extension of the state granted you the privledge or right to hunt..

Let's not get to caught up in semantics, and stay focused on the issue..

I posted something earlier that reminds everyone that as the law currently is enacted the rigs get completely torn down. Therefore there would be no marine environment to squibble about. They'd be all gone. Of course, the oil companies have a significant financial interest in amending the current legislation. I don't think anyone is suggesting that the oil companies actually care about these reefs if not for the fact that it would cost them millions to tear down.

That's why I say this issue makes for strange bedfellows. Who would have ever thought environmentalists and oil companies on the same side???

BUt we must face a few facts.. The rigs are scheduled to be taken down by statue.. Only, and unless, that statue gets modified is there a chance to hunt these rigs at some furture date..
If it means getting the rigs saved by getting 241 passed let's fight that battle 1st. To the extent there is a stumbling block due to the hunting aspect we can alsways fight that battle later. But atleast the rigs will be there to fight for..

Be careful what we wish for because we may just get it..

If 241 gets defeated, the rigs are gone..

One of the battles that hunter's must recognize is that the oil companies have a single objective and are organized. We are not.

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]