Re: wreck penetrable or not????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on August 03, 2000 at 09:36:05:

In Reply to: Re: wreck penetrable or not???? posted by Jason on August 03, 2000 at 02:44:03:

I stand by my believes and make note I said they *should* run lines, use Nitrox, buddies etc. Should means that this is my recomendation. Everytime I have these discussions everyone seems to want to parse language and rather than dive into the heart of the matter.

The fact of the matter is that the Yukon is a well intended effort that did NOT go 100% according to plan. As such, it is a little more dangerous that it was intended. Why is everyone against taking a few precautions to insure against someone getting hurt???

In my view, using Nitrox [ and thereby increasing your EAD to 75' makes a helluva lot of sense ], using a buddy and running thirds also makes a great deal of sense, What do you have against the use of lines??

You say I have spent to much time in other states, I say I have had the unfortunate experience of dragging 3 bodies from the ocean. That is what has sharpened my view, not some ultuistic dreams.

This is as an advanced dive site and should be treated as such.

It seems to me that diving solo, on air, without running a line is a receipe for disaster. Will some be able to handle this? Sure. But will that set the tone for the rest to follow??? Of course. We get so hung up on open access for everyone to everything that sometimes it's easy to forget that there are dangers associated with our sport. This Yukon should be viewed as a dive to be built up to, not as a dive that just anyone can do.

The recommendations that I have putforth are not overly intrusive, they are not unreasonable and may very well save lives.

While I reluctantly agree that ther are certain dives that can easily be accomplished solo, or on air, or without lines. I don't believe that this dive however falls into that paramater.

Let's keep this safe and hopefully we can continue to build on this success and get a few more..

Regards

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]