Posted by MHK on August 04, 2000 at 10:12:00:
In Reply to: Re: Slang & jason responses attached posted by Jason on August 03, 2000 at 19:00:20:
It differ's from the Palawaan in several meaningful respects:
1) the Yukon sits in recognized recreational depth limits. As a result it will be treated as * just another dive site*
2) The Palawaan sits in 140', beyond recognized limits and was not purposely sunk for the specific reason of inviting diver's to dive it.
3) I don't know of many commercial boats that take diver's to the Palawaan. Tim takes the majority of the diver's and I usually am the DM. We reserve the right to screen anyone, we call it an invitational and if we are not comfortable with your skills you are not on the trip.
4) We ignore the *it's the diver's right to kill themselves* mentality. I'm the guy that is going to have to get the body, do the CPR and live with the consequences. So we screen the diver's.
6) The Yukon will get more diver's on it in the next 6 months than the Palawaan will get in 5 years.
7) The Palawaan does not offer all the entry points that the Yukon does.
8) No one is under the impression about the Palawaan that it is a *friendly, man made wreck* that is cut out for the express purpose of making it friendly.
9) the Palawaan is not nearly as in tact as the Yukon and will not provide for the inticing entry points.
I could go on and on.
You should be careful with that personal freedom stuff you may just get what you asked for...
Designating a wreck as reserved for trained and qualified diver's should be viewed as a positive, not as taking away someone's personal freedom.
Post a Followup