Explain that to me, please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eins on September 08, 2000 at 19:27:51:

In Reply to: Nice Dodge, posted by MHK on September 08, 2000 at 18:08:22:

English is not my first language*, and I'm not sure if I understand "dodge" correctly. What do you mean?

About your direct question--it was too hard to find it in the miles and miles of endless tirades. Besides, I think I covered it from what I remembered. But since you asked so politely, I went and looked for it again, and here is your question, followed by my answer:

MHK asked
"As to solo diving, since you are so into the specific wording of issues, answer this direct question.

When all 7 of these guys died were they or were they not diving solo???

It's a yes or no question......"

I'm not sure since I don't know enough details of all the cases, but I give you a yes.

There, I said it. But that's not the true answer to the true problem. Some (I don't know the exact number) of these seven were in a buddy team before they died.

MHK, I want to reach out and offer you a calumet. I openly agree that an able buddy by the side of a struggling victim is a much better chance for survival than if there were no buddy. Period.

That being said, my point is, that too often, there is no buddy around, even though it is a buddy team. Too many recreational divers rely on their buddy as their safety net, which is not there when needed. What's more, I think divers do stupid, risky things, out of a false sense of security because a buddy is there. Hmmm.

I further believe that a dedicated solo diver, who plans for his being solo, will be safer in a lot of situations then this average rec diver. But again, there is more safety with an able buddy by the side.

One must do what s/he must do. This goes for both sides. You won't be able to dictate your belief to all divers and stop solo divers from having their fun (and some of them from dying).

Just like no-one will be able to stop all automobile traffic and thereby prevent 800 deaths per week, on US streets alone. And this is a fact.

Peace,
Eins

* I've only been in the USA for three years and was used to communicate in German before that time.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]