Re: Defining Buddy/Solo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on September 21, 2000 at 15:05:04:

In Reply to: Re: Defining Buddy/Solo posted by Gerry Smith on September 21, 2000 at 14:44:58:

Posted by Gerry Smith on September 21, 2000 at 14:44:58:

Presumably a solo diver (intentional) has considered his choice and made adjustments to minimize additional risk. High quality, well maintained gear, high level of training and experience, and redundant UBA are examples that come to mind.

Gerry,

All fair points that you raise but it seems to me that the above points respecting training , gear etc. etc. should not be exclusive to solo diver's, they should apply to ALL diver's.

Part of the problem that I'm struggling with regarding the twisting and torturing of definitions is that it debases some very meaningful points. In that I mean, you should accept inferior training or use outdated equipment just because you have a buddy that may save you. Every diver should approach the dive from the standpoint of good mental preparation, proper training and equipment in good working order.

What has been troubling me about these discussions is the cavalier attitudes about the rights of a diver to kill themselves, and more often that not, it's the *it can't happen to me because I'm experienced * attitude.. What I have been trying to focus on is that several of the local fatalities were some very experienced diver's ( 1,000 + dives ) that thought right up until the dive that they killed themself on, that it couldn't happen to them...

Furthermore, this list represents a very diversified combination of diver's. We have some VERY experienced diver's, some instructors and shop owners that have been teaching for 20+ years, and we have some very new divers. And in all candor, the rules of the game have changed.. Training has been watered down, students are getting less and less and are gaining knowledge from forums such as this. And then issues such as solo diving, wreck diving, tech diving get thrown around with reckless abandon, as if anybody can do it. And when you try to have meaningful discussions about the dangers of the efforts, more often than not you start hearing about the diver's right to kill themself blah, blah, blah...

It just seems to me that the more advanced diver's on this list bear a responsibility to keep certain information in check and make sure that it is vetted properly. So when I see certain posters justifying the end by any and all means I try to point out that the fact of the matter is when the sh*t hit's the fan, you have seconds to respond, react and fix the problem and the buddy can help..

Regards

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]