Re: It is not solo diving per se that kills, it is attitude.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on September 25, 2000 at 17:09:15:

In Reply to: It is not solo diving per se that kills, it is attitude. posted by Eins on September 25, 2000 at 13:37:46:

EINS,

As luck would have it, I agree with about 90% of your post. The only thing I would add is that the solution, atleast in my view, is in fact worth fighting against. For as you say these heated discussion have brought invaluable noteriety to the issue. And just as you have gotten e-mails, I have gotten many who have said they are glad I'm speaking out about it..

I thought it was funny ( and Frank this isn't a flame ) that Frank Farmer posted in a different thread that you can teach old dogs new tricks, but I find it the hardest to discuss with divers that have been diving solo for years and years that they shouldn't do it. They seem to be the hardest, and least willing, to discuss this with.

While I will continue *discussing* the issue with the old timers, I also will focus my efforts on the newer divers..

The best Southern California can hope for this year is to have averaged 1 diver a month dead, and that's assuming we have no more fatalities from now until December 31. 1 a month, that's an awful lot of diver's diving and if that doesn't get EVERYONE'S attention I don't know what will. And if you look at these fatalities, many of them were preventable which is why I'm sick of staying silent and have become more vocal and less patient with excuses..

One fatality per month is the best we can hope for and that is very sad....

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]