Re: opinions requested on 'bungee' wings...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gerry Smith on September 29, 2000 at 08:34:03:

In Reply to: Re: opinions requested on 'bungee' wings... posted by John Walker on September 28, 2000 at 23:12:12:

John,

I've heard the Dixieland cave boys spout this stuff, but I really thought thought you'd be above that.

Many things contribute to the drag created when an object moves through a fluid. Different factors apply at different speeds. At the speed of a swimming diver, flat plate effect (the size in cross section that the object presents to the fluid) is by FAR the most important factor. Surface roughness becomes significant at higher speeds. If you want confirmation, look at a fast swimming fish (tuna) vs a slow swimmer like a frogfish or scorpionfish. The bungee wings reduce flat plate therefore it makes sense that they would reduce drag. I don't make the claim myself, because I've done no research. But I really doubt that the people who are slamming the wing have done any either. Blaming myriads of diver deaths on bungee wings is probably equally stupid. Think for yourself, and curb your invective, it will make you much more effective.

So, while I agree that the bungee wings are a little bit more dangerous, (remember that lots of wings manufacturers use elastic material to squeeze the bladder) and I only use them when they are appropriate - I won't buy the pile-on rant that happens every time someone mentions them on Techdiver. You shouldn't either, you're too smart.

In friendship,

Gerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]