Re: PADI sells out, yet again...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on October 16, 2000 at 14:06:19:

In Reply to: Re: PADI sells out, yet again... posted by brianc on October 16, 2000 at 12:42:20:

I'll be the first to agree that an instructor is the make or break for any course. But at some point, the agency needs to bear some responsibilty towards making the C-card mean something. PADI has made a conscience effort towards reducing the standards in favor of gaining market share. This, in my view, is very troubling inasmuch as PADI is making a splash into the tech market..

As stated above, the insstructor makes or breaks a class but if you keep dumbing down the standards and making the barrier easier and easier to break through it is easy to understand that sooner or later enough poorly trained or underqualified DM's and instructors will pass through the cracks..

Allowing a diver with 20 dives to enter a leadership program simply does not allow enough experience, enough understanding of different environments to develope into a strong leader..

By requiring less, not more, PADI is basically anouncing that they are willing to live with mediocrity.

I'm not 100% sure about the following numbers so maybe some one else can confirm, but I think I'm pretty close.

Open Water requires 6 dives, Advanced requires 4, rescue requires 2 which means that you could concievably enter a DM program with having done as little as 8 non-class related dives..

I believe these numbers are correct bit if I'm off a dive or so, the point remains in tact..

The fact is that this simply isn't enough experience to enter a leadership program and it speaks directly to the willingness of PADI to require as little of there candidates as opposed to more..

I also thought I was clear in that I stated you couldn't get the DM card until you have logged 60 dives.. I also provided the link so there was no attempt to hide any facts.. I think the facts speak for themselves and they are appauling..

Regards

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]