Re: PADI sells out, yet again...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ScubaGlenn on October 16, 2000 at 18:27:36:

In Reply to: Re: PADI sells out, yet again... posted by MHK on October 16, 2000 at 14:06:19:

They may have such a low number of required dives in order to develop an express train to qualify divemasters. Someone looking for a career change can go from being a truck driver one month to a DM/Instructor the next. Although I doubt there is much money in being a full-time DM here in the states. Heck, all the instructors I know have day jobs.

I'd be wondering how many instructors would actually take a student into the DM class with only the minimum number of dives. Heck, most new divers need about 20 dives on average just to get to the point of getting comfortable under water. Perhaps it should be a minimum of 60 dives to enter the course and 100 to be certified.

There is however the "skills assessment" that is required as well and this is hopefully where an instructor's concious will step in and delay people from proceeding in the course.

But as I stated, the only reason I can see such a low requirement for starting would be to fast track people into the program to get them a new career for a side job. Although what they don't mention is after spending equipment on classes and gear, and how little you actually make in comparison to say burger flipping at the golden arches.

As for the mention of rescue diver isn't it four open water dives? I'm in the RD class now and just did two open water dives and have two remaining.

But as others have said, and I'll mimick as well, the instructors make all the difference between worthwhile training and essentially purchasing a c-card. As a couple of examples my instructor for this class, after having us spend a few nights in the pool doing gear removal on a victim while administering resue breaths had for a couple weeks wore a BCD with all kinds of quick disconnects, only to show up on another night with a stab jacket and hoses and retractors criss-crossed all over the place. While on the boat yesterday and having me demonstrate a surface rescue, while I wasn't looking he tangled the hell out of the life ring's line. He also arrainged to have the biggest DM he could find be my victim and have me haul him all the way out of the water back on to the boat. Sure he could have made it easy, but what would that have accomplished?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]