Re: PADI DM reqs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on October 18, 2000 at 00:54:32:

In Reply to: PADI DM reqs posted by Jason on October 17, 2000 at 17:06:27:

(Jason wrote) My understanding of their OW program is that the instructor can't flunk a student that can demonstrate all the required skills, yet scares the shit out of the instructor.

Although Jason is correct within a very strict interpretation of PADI standards, there's a way "around" this, even sanctioned by PADI (at least in the discussions that I've had with HQ staff).

The student has to perform all the required skills . . . to the satisfaction of the instructor. That's enough wiggle room to say, "You didn't seem comfortable enough with mask clearance so we'll need to do another dive." Or two or three or whatever.

But, in all seriousness, IMHO, any instructor who is taking out into the OW a student who "scares the shit out of" them is being negligent.

Presumably, that student has demonstrated inattentiveness, or carelessness, or whatever, during class and pool sessions. To then take them into the open water would, IMHO, be the height of absurdity and hypocrisy.

If they're that bad, just say, "In all good conscience I simply don't think you are prepared to be a certified diver who can dive unsupervised and I would not feel comfortable having my name on your card." Then hand them back all their money and wish them well.

No money = no contract = no damages.

For what it's worth, for this very reason, we have a clause in our Reef Seekers class contract - seperate from PADI or NAUI waivers - that states that certification is at the sole discretion of the instructor. We also have a cluase that states the student will attend all class and pool sessions and turn in required paerwokr, quizzes, etc. And because those clauses are part of the contract, we could choose to dismiss someone from the class and not be required to refund.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]