Re: Another solo death

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gerry Smith on October 18, 2000 at 17:04:46:

In Reply to: Re: Another solo death posted by MHK on October 18, 2000 at 09:32:47:

MHK writes:
"Can anybody get on here and stand up and say that this kid would still have died if he had a buddy with him???"

No Mike, obviously no one can make such a stupid statement with credibility, but by the same token, no one can state the opposite. We weren't there. What is needed is an analysis of the 13 accidents, not more vituperation. Your post of the "facts" - as you understood them - doesn't constitute an analysis. I doubt if there ever will be a meaningful analysis of this group of fatalities, simply because such an undertaking is expensive and time consuming, and no one cares that much.

In your post you gratuitously hold Frank Farmer up to ridicule 'cause he doesn't feel the need to defend what is, on the surface, a very successful style of diving. Cheap shot pal, won't win many to your point of view. But it does give you a soap-box doesn't it. Let me quote you again:

"I putforth my system and we have analyzed it to death and no one is dying using DIR system. Frank has introduced a concept that defies logic but refuses to stand by his recomendations.

You can either defend the system or you can't and I think it's irresponsible to get on a scuba forum and recommend a disorganized approach that will ultimatley lead to confusion in an emergency situation."

Frank hasn't recommended anything. He has tried to point out errors in your argument, and he has described his solo diving practice. Since he's not trying to convert anyone, he has no need to defend anything. You, on the other hand, are trying to sell your point of view, maybe it's even a good point of view, but you have to defend it 'cause you're selling it.

Like others of the DIR faith, you chase away reasonable people with these personal attacks. You havn't the credentials to attack a diver of Frank's experience.

GS

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]