RSD advocates deco diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on October 19, 2000 at 09:36:39:

I think it's the latest, I didn't catch the date, but there's an article in RSD about how rec folks should consider deco diving. They do mention some safety tips, but the picture for the article is two divers wearing pretty much standard warm water stuff (singles, no visible pony) holding on to a line while staring at their computers.

I would eventually like to do some deco stuff, but does anyone else think its a bad idea for RSD to say "It's easy, just trust your computer?" In their defence they do suggest you learn your computer.

When my wife did her OW they taught decompression diving, and her original tables (which we still have) have deco info.

Don't you think that perhaps a bit of deco would be good in OW, or at the minimum in AOW? I mean, I try to check my gauges regularly, but I can easily see how one could lose track of time. Then you're down in need of a stop, but don't really know what to do. I think (if I remember right, the crummy PADI training again :-) that PADI recommends a 15 minute (or as long as possible) stop at 15 feet.

Did anyone else read that article?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]