Re: Maybe, all it boils down to is math.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on November 01, 2000 at 12:01:06:

In Reply to: Maybe, all it boils down to is math. posted by Eins on November 01, 2000 at 09:42:05:

EINS,

Not that I want to get into another arguement but I must request that you take a look at what you are saying before you offer up suggestions..

What Weinke is proposing in his synoposis is a revolutionary idea that is much more detailed and much different that you suggest. I'll be happy to discuss the theories behind the differences but realize that this is VERY complicated stuff and I will offer what I know but I will NOT engage in proving every sylable.

In short what the current Buhlman models use is a dissolved gas model for computing M-values.. Weinke is proposing to use his RGBM ( a.k.a. as the Reduced Gradient Bubble Model ) which focuses primarily on the gradients and is applied as a bubble model as opposed to a gas model. While the RGBM could clearly apply to a dissolved gas model the intention is to move towards a bubble model..

This is very technical and detialed stuff that I have spent years reviewing Weinke's studies and I'll be happy to share what I know, I'll be happy to share what references I have but given the history of this list I'm not looking to get inot discussions of this nature ( and freely give much of my time ) explaining detailed decompression models which have taken me years to digest only to have it turn into and MHK ( or DIR ) -v- the bbs...

So if we are going to proceed down this road, everyone needs to understand that these are Weinke's theories, not mine..

I have previoulsy supplied Bruce Weinke's resume but I'll do it again for purposes of this discussion.

Bruce is the Director of the Computational Testbed For Industry in the Advanced Computing Laboratory of the Los Alamos National Laboratory, with interests in compututaional decompression models, gas transport and phase mechanics. He is an Instructor Trainer with NAUI, serving on the decompression review board, a Master Instructor with PADI, serving on the Instructor Review Committee and an Institute Director with YMCA. He has a PhD in physics and a memeber of the American Physical Society, American Nuclear Society, Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, South PAcific Underwater Medical Society, Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society to name a few.. He is the editor of NAUI's training publication ( Sources ) and works as a consultant to ScubaPro for decompression algorithms and works with DAN on applications of high performance computing and communications to diving and decompression modeling. And in the interest of full disclosure has worked with GUE and the WKPP.. So in short, maybe you don't want to go to a cocktail party with this guy but he has forgotten more about decompression than many of us will ever know so I don't want to hear about how this is DIR propoganda if we go down this road and remember this was presented to NAUI, not the WKPP or GUE...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]