Safety stops in current

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on November 03, 2000 at 17:54:03:

In Reply to: how to make safety stop in current posted by roughy on November 03, 2000 at 12:47:53:

Method 1:
Find a long thick multiple stranded kelp stalk, which will be laying over in the current. Grab the top of thick portion of the kelp stalk and kick up and into the current while watching your depth gage. By adjusting you kicking and where you have a hold of the kelp stalk, you should be able to approximately maintain your depth.

Method 2:
On the bottom adjust your compass so you have a heading directly into the current.
Pick up a rock to give yourself some ballast. I sometimes unzip the top of my wetsuit and insert ballast rocks so I do not have to hold them. Smooth, rounded, pancake like rocks are best. Sometimes multiple rocks will allow you discard part of your ballast if you have too much.
Swim into the current and up slowly again watching your depth gage. If you are using a BC let out air as you surface to keep a slight negative bouyancy. Try to maintain your depth and position by kicking. If you can see the terrain, maintain your position by watching landmarks. If you are in poor visibility, just kick into the current. If you bypass you target the current will bring you back.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]