Nobody ever said

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on November 22, 2000 at 15:51:39:

In Reply to: Ever bury a friend? posted by JRM on November 22, 2000 at 15:04:57:

But it is a safe sport as sports go. We do seem to get too hung up on the "LIFE SUPPORT" aspects of gear, for example. The sales guys will tell you that you need to buy this super deluxe regualtor made from Titanium and Unobtainium alloy because it if LIFE SUPPORT EQUIPMENT and you shoudl not scrimp. But somehow my old scubapros from a couple of decades ago still work well enough for me.

I take my family diving with confidence. In fact I worry more when we are snow skiing or water skiing where there are personal watercraft.

Can you die while diving? Sure. Does the instruction hide the dangers? Not in my opinion. Does it try to scare the hell out of you? No, and that is not a bad thing. Does it encourage you to seek additional training for additional adventurous experiences? YES! And this is one of the things that folks jump on PADI about! We really cannot have it both ways!

I think diving is a safe sport. I encourage my friends and coworkers (and strangers I meet in my travels) to start diving.

There is too much macho crap in diving. It permeates the industry, and bars in Hermosa? As a solution for the problem of the Macho thing, I have often felt that only women should be instructors. That would solve a lot of the problems.

And if they wear bikinis to work, it fits some of the requests in the perfect dive shop posts elswhere on this board! Sorry, could not resist.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]