Damn Straight

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CalDiver on January 09, 2001 at 16:12:49:

In Reply to: Illegal and Sick Lobstering Practices posted by Chris K on January 09, 2001 at 15:38:13:

Sick and wrong. This is supposed to be fun, kids.

A related Q: what do you do with divers who know better but still try to get away with shorts? I'm pretty new at DMing and so far, have not seen any of my divers bring up shorts to the boat. If there was a question, I would want to ask them to measure. DMs are in a tricky spot, though, as the diver is the customer and you know what that means.

How have some of y'all handled this situation? Especially with experienced divers...frankly, many of them have been around the sport a lot longer than I have, and might resent what they consider a challenge.

Also, I was always taught that the lobster can be measured at the surface, but must not be taken onto the boat to measure, becuase possessing a short on the boat is illegal. Below is the only code section I can find, which doesn't say that verbatim. Anyone know what the rule is?

Fish & Game C. § 8252. Prohibited taking of spiny lobster of specified size

No spiny lobster less than three and one-quarter inches in length measured in a straight line from the rear edge of the eye socket to the rear edge of the body shell, both points to be on the midline of the back, may be taken, possessed, purchased, or sold.

Every person taking spiny lobster shall carry a measuring device and shall measure any lobster immediately on removal from his trap and if it is found to be undersize the lobster shall be returned to the water immediately.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]