You are wrong and should have checked your facts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Johnson on January 29, 2001 at 16:12:08:

In Reply to: They are wrong and should have checked their facts posted by Bob on January 29, 2001 at 06:59:47:

Bob,

NEVER trust what you hear, that includes statements made by the government employees at the DOT that answer the phone.

The fact is that 49CFR173.302 is the rule on overfilling cylinders. Nothing anyone else says matters. Diverlink is just as susceptible to hearsay as anyone else.

Bob wrote (I mistakenly thought Eins wrote this from his post above):
"A hydro measures stress and structural integrity."

Bob, a hydro measures "elastic expansion".

I never said that an additional "test" had to be preformed, I said, "In order to qualify for the + designation, "wall stress" must also be determined." This is absolutely correct. The determination of wall stress is a calculation that is not normally done when a cylinder is hydroed. A plus rating requires the tester also keep this addional data in the cylinder report on file.

While the DOT is probably going to eliminate + ratings in the new rules, I would not speculate that cylinders will automatically be elligable for 10% over-fills. I think the likelyhood exists that overfilling will be disallowed altogether.

I would love to see you post any reference contrary to anything I said. I did check my facts, cited my source and posted a copy of my source. In contrast, you cited a phone conversation.

Bill

PS. There is no requirement that tanks be hydrostatically tested.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]