Re: How do you handle it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on February 26, 2001 at 17:04:23:

In Reply to: How do you handle it? posted by Wayne on February 26, 2001 at 16:53:23:


Let me distinguish between a recreational nitrox dive and a technical dive.. For purposes of most, if not all, the insurance policies and the legal liability issues, such as they are, they distinguish between mixes greater than 40%, PLANNED dives deeper than 130' and rebreathers. These are the excluded dives that are NOT covered under a standard DM policy.

When we have dives that use mixes greater than 40%, and/or are planned deeper than 130' and/or involve rebreathers you are required to hold a technical dive supervisor rating, which incidentally I have, and moreover you are required to purchase a seperate insurance policy, which in essence, excludes the exclusions..

But for recreational dives 9ie; mixes under 40%) as I have stated many times, there simply is ABSOLUTELY NO cause for concern with respect to these *alleged* legal liability issues that Ken has invented..

Nitrox, while popular in other geographic regions, is slowly beginning to pick up here in Calif. and I don't want factually innacurate information getting spread that is WRONG......

There is NO issue when a non-Nitrox certified DM supervises a certified nitrox diver......

It's as plain and simple as that, unless of course Ken wishes to defend his distortion of the facts...


Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]