Re: how to plan a dive without a dive computer as a crutch

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by R Bear on March 08, 2001 at 06:41:30:

In Reply to: how to plan a dive without a dive computer as a crutch posted by RaiderKarl on March 07, 2001 at 16:55:03:

Hi Karl,
As a DIR diver it is my resposibility to inform you that you are:
a) A stroke
b) Farm animal stupid
c) Going to die
Unfortunately after reading your well thought out post, I don't really believe any of that. It is pretty obvious to me that you have never done such a dive before though. You have made several planning errors some of which balance each other out. You haven't planned nearly enough reserve gas. This is balanced by the fact that you have severely over estimated your gas consumption. A word to the wise... When you have done your eight minutes of bottom time and you have more gas than you thought, go up anyway. On a deco dive you don't plan to end with no gas. You WEIGHT yourself for no gas just in case the excrement hits the rotating air moving mechanism, but you PLAN to end the dive with a third of your gas left over. Also, I am at work and my NAVY tables are at home, but you have misread them somehow. Your ten foot stop should be longer than your 20 foot stop and you wrote that your 20 foot stop will be longer.
DSAO
Ron

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]