Re: Dive tables vs. computers: only a $ difference?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on March 13, 2001 at 14:07:11:

In Reply to: Re: Dive tables vs. computers: only a $ difference? posted by AADIVER on March 13, 2001 at 13:54:35:

Frank,

It's hard to get a balance on this list. When I don't give details I'm accused of evading the issue, when I give details then I'm too technical...

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH @$#&^*&(&%##@@!!!!!!

In a long technical winded way of saying what I said was that the tables and the computers use the SAME formula to compute the NDL.

There isn't one formula for computers and then another formula for the tables. The only variation is that the computer is capable of updating the computation underwater..

The primary DIR opposition is that by blindly relying on the computer a diver never gets to understand deco ( or non-deco) theory..

The example we use often is that while most people don't add a string of numbers up manually anymore and do so via an adding machine does that mean that teachers shouldn't teach children basic math because they can laways use and adding machine????

I understand some agencies are abandoning teaching NDL's in class in favor of mandating the purchase/use of a computer.....If the industry is having such a hard time attracting new divers and are thus expanding into questionable areas wouldn't mandating spending X hundreds of dollars further heighten the reluctance????

Furthermore, computers penalize you for deep stops, one size doesn't fit all and you should know your physiology better than a store bought computer. And then of course, absent the requisite understanding and you are on a liveaboard or multi-day trip and your computer fails what do you do???

Hope that helps..

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]