Re: Slight Disagreement...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on April 23, 2001 at 17:37:52:

In Reply to: Re: Slight Disagreement... posted by MHK on April 23, 2001 at 17:15:53:

Of course, the worst part of this whole game is that they actually went through with this. You know, somewhere was a "bean counter" (accounts are such boring stuff-shirted jerks. Always loud mouthed and annoying, especially the ones from New York :-) who had to make the analysis of risk vs. return. So they've actually deluded themselves into thinking that the return is worth the risk of injury/ death to kids using SCUBA. Given that I think the liability unfathomably high, the ROI for PADI must be insane. Looks like we're in the wrong business ;-).

I haven't done my "instant society" rant for a while, and I'll spare everyone who's heard it several times out of me before. But it isn't going to get any better, and people expect their baked potato now (search the archives if you're really interested). I just am having a hard time justifying the analysis of the guys huddled in the dark room. Any PI attorney is going to have a field day with this.

If we don't trust an 8 year old to drive, vote, or drink, why should we expect him not to hold his breath while ascending. This has AGE written all over it.

Anyway, I went the PADI route. And given my choices, I'd make the same decision again. There just isn't any better alternative here in the heartland. I had a good instructor, and I feel the training was adaquate. Not to defend PADI (you can't, really), but I think a lot of people on this board equate poor training with lack of experience.

JRM

--man, I'm a posting fiend today. Gotta do something while I sit around and wait for software to compile :-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]