ROBERT M. TDI QUESTION AND COMMENTS THEREAFTER

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Herb Z. on June 23, 2001 at 16:33:48:

I am the Herb that Robert M. referred to on June 17 TDI question. It always amazes me when people such as him make comments, but never let the instructor know any of this. Credibility is everything.

Total dive depth was 141 feet. Dive was well planned on the boat with mission well outlined and reasons to abort the dive. No one to my knowledge came up with less than 900 psi, including me. I use an AI 500, so depth does not read on screen one. This was misrepresentation one. #2 everyone took a safety stop as required including me, one at 20 feet and one at 15 feet. My computer did not go into violation mode. #3, Robert M took it upon himself to go under water at the beginning of the dive and not wait for his partner or the rest of the team to descend as planned. He was at 20 feet waiting for us. I sent his partner down to bring him up so that we could complete a predive safety check. The descent took longer than normal because my partner had trouble clearing, which was briefed on the boat prior to the beginning of the dive. No one bolted to the surface. At the debriefing on the boat, no comment was made by anyone regarding anything referred to in Robert M's question. In fact, we are completing the second day of diving tomorrow, without Robert, who told me that he could not make it because he injured both his arms and cannot dive for one month. I am both a PADI Course Director and a TDI Instructor Trainer with numerous Decompression dives logged. I was trained by Cmdr. Jim Williams USN, Retired. I can honestly state that this is the first complaint that I have ever heard about. Too bad that the student did not have the guts to discuss it with me during the debriefing with the other divers or alone with me.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]