Re: Opinions on this rig - DIR bottom line

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Walker on June 24, 2001 at 18:06:22:

In Reply to: Re: Opinions on this rig - DIR bottom line posted by AADIVER on June 24, 2001 at 12:30:34:

Hi Frank, if I may interject here. The issue with computers is not because they are electronic. Our bottom timers are also electronic, so are our watches for timing deco stops to the second.

The problem with computers is that they become a crutch for divers. Divers never really learn anything about decompression or about how their personal physiology reacts to different dives.

Another problem with computers is that they default often giving the diver an unrealistic profile, tacking on much more decompression time then the diver might have enough gas for. This can be done by simply ascending for a few feet faster than the computers programed ascent rate (typically 30fpm). The hoseless stuff is even scarier because when they crap out you have no idea how much gas is left in your tanks. Remember the KISS principle?

Most divers who were to have their computer die on them wouldn't even know how to ascend properly. By simply understanding little formulas like the fubinocci formula, knowing their average depth and carrying a set of tables a diver can easily contend without their computers. Further understanding of deco theories and decompression shapes (exponential curves) divers are in much better shape to ascend safely.

I know that an old timer like you has remembered some simple rules about decompression because dive computers were not available for most of your diving history. Rules such as no decompression limits we're etched into our heads. Today divers learn very little about deco and no-decompression limits. From what I understand many instructors don't even teach dive tables. This is hidious in my opinion.

There are some good computers out there right now. Well, maybe one. The Suunto vipers is a streamlined downloadable computer that can also run in gage mode just like a bottom timer. The downloading features are really what makes this computer bitchin becuse divers can look for average depths for future dives. If you were to use it in computer mode it would be like using crutches with a perfectly good set of legs. And your legs will eventually become lame.

JW

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]