Re: Terry May's Deep Air Study

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on July 09, 2001 at 10:13:03:

In Reply to: Re: Terry May's Deep Air Study posted by randy54 on July 08, 2001 at 15:37:44:

There are so many other things to worry about than narcosis when diving deep on air.. Narcosis is only one of a handful of issues to worry about.. PADI, IANTD, TDI et. al simply want to keep the debate focused on narcosis, so then they can tell you how they can teach you how to offset narcosis, which is utter BS on the one hand.. But more importantly, it allows them to avoid talking about C02, dypsonia, hypercarnia which are all physiological issues that no matter who the agency or instructor is you can NOT teach to overcome physiological problems... It simply is a matter of physics and it can't be taught, nor can it be overcome..

They want to deflect the debate with horror srories about why Helium is bad for you.. One of the many things that I don't understand about the PADI, IANTD, TDI et. al deep air crap is that they claim to be able to *teach* you how to overcome narcosis, and the claim is that it is done based upon repetition.. Even if you buy into that illogical train of thought you would have to question then why it is that you only do 1 dive, at the instructors option, to 165' on air during class??? In other words, if they really believe that the only issue is narcosis then why in hell are their classes structured that you don't do the training at depth where narcosis is the issue.. What are they teaching then???? I always claim that narcosis is like drinking and driving.. I, of course, could not teach someone how to drive drunk, but to follow the analogy even further, I certainly couldn't do it if the prospective student wasn't drunk... So how the hell can they teach you to overcome narcosis when the bulk of the class is done above the narcotic depths and it's the option of the instructor to even take you to the 165' depth????

The whole thing is a sham, any agency that teaches and/or claims that they can teach you this is full of crap and the important issue to remember, or ask if you are dum enough to take a deep air class, is how can you *teach* overcoming physiological issues??????

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]